Agile in Enterpriseland
Open Source in the Enterprise World
Nick Moore <email@example.com>
Standard Operating Environment
- Still often Windows XP, Word, Sharepoint, etc ...
- BYO Tools
- Git remote on a shared drive
- Trello doesn't look like an issue tracker
- (Or shrink your windows partition, and then run it virtualized)
- URL restrictions
- Limits on concurrent connections
- (probably unintentional) URL mangling
- You might want to buy a 4G modem
Two hairs unite. Then they're joined by another. And another.
And another. Before long, where there was once nothing, this
tangled, impenetrable mass has begun to form"
-- Gordon MacKenzie, Orbiting the Giant Hairball
- Project Manager
- Business Analysts
- Systems Administrators
- Sales / Marketing
- End Users
Find your project a champion
- Temper your progress reporting ...
- Remember these are all tasks:
- Run multiple phases in parallel
- Sometimes there as a legacy requirement
- Sometimes because a competing product does it
- Sometimes it's just been in Gartner / Infoworld / etc
- Better to say Yes than No
- Better to say No than not answer the question ...
- Outgrowing requirements
- Ongoing Maintenance
- Handover ...
The Good News
Open Data — 1
- Large systems starting to open up
- ODBC → SOAP → oData
- SAP oData
- oData is RESTful, fairly horrible syntax for querying
- Can emit JSON
Open Data — 2
- Extract into local database
- Extract into message queue
- Direct access from HTML5
- Use SSIS or BizTalk
- Keep state in SQL Server
Open Data — 3
- Specific task-related apps
- Enable more efficient workflows
- Beware usability lockin!
Questions / Comments
Original “Alice in Wonderland”
illustrations by John Tenniel, now out of copyright.
“Bliss” wallpaper presumably © Microsoft.